Friday, February 22, 2013

Favourite Things Friday: River Song

The only water in the forest is the river. Doctor Who, season 6 episode 4, The Doctor's Wife, Neil Gaiman

I Dr. Who. I may have mentioned it once or twice. Twelve or thirteen episodes a year is, frankly, not enough. So when season seven started in September of last year, preceded by a showing of all the Doctor Who episodes from the beginning of time {or since the series' reboot in 2005, and by the way, that's funny because it is a show about time travel}, I DVRed them all and started watching again from season one. And I fell in love all over again. The Doctor is brilliant. His companions are amazing, every single one of them. But my favorite of them all is River Song.

Best. Story Arc. Ever.

River drops into The Doctor's life mid-way through season four in a two-part episode that ranks in my top five favorites. She's called him for help using psychic paper and greets him with a very familiar, "hello sweetie." She knows absolutely everything about him, only he doesn't know who she is. Not a clue. But with one whispered word he trusts her completely. And it's absolutely maddening because we may never see her again. His first meeting with her is her last encounter with him.

The beauty of a show about time travel is that anything is possible. As River puts it, her timeline and The Doctor's timeline are back to front. River turns up again in season five, with her signature, "hello, sweetie," and an air of confidence that rivals The Doctor's. The more we see River, the more questions there are about her. She knows things The Doctor doesn't even know. And when she shows up with a six shooter on her hip in episode one of season six and blows the Stetson right off The Doctor's head, we know we're in for a great season. {Sidebar: how did I not know they were filming in Utah? I totally would have gone to see them!}


I searched high and low for a video that would give you the flavor of River Song without any spoilers and this is one of the rare times that the Media Pirates at YouTube have not come through with something brilliant. I wanted to show you her amazing bravado, her cool-headed brilliance, her knowing demeanor and especially the clever things she says. Most of the videos were set to music, and didn't allow much of the dialogue that makes River River. This is the closest I could come to what I wanted, which means, of course, that you'll just have to watch the series and find out for yourself. Netflix has got you covered. And may I recommend you start from season one? Even though Mr. Bug insists that each episode is entertaining on its own, there are things in there that you really can't miss {see also, The Face of Boe}.


Today's post brought to you by:

3 comments:

Busy Quilting Mama said...

I have been watching this series while I am sewing! It is available on Netflix. I am kind of sad that I have only a few episodes left.

seabreezequilts said...

I can't get into the new Dr, I watched the vintage ones as a kid Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison where my vintage, it just isn't the same with all CGI, give me the poxy Styrofoam sets and styrofoam monsters they were a real laugh. Enjoyed David Tennant but can't get into Matt smith I am afraid, but you are right River Song is a pretty cool chick.

Shay said...

Netflix is denied to us poor Aussies...which kinda stinks.

I have not watched Dr. Who since I was a child. Unlike Amanda who laughs at styrofoam boxes and bad costumes I recall being terrified !