Friday, February 15, 2013

Echoes of Eternity {Mission Accomplished}

And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed! –Dr. Seuss

It was a little iffy there for a few minutes. That one and a quarter percent almost got me, but I finished and delivered the framed double wedding ring, which I have decided to call Echoes of Eternity, to the bride-to-be. She was feeling pretty miserable when I stopped by earlier. She has strep, a double ear infection, and her eardrum burst last night. The wedding is tomorrow, so I'm sure she could use all the prayers and good thoughts she can get.

Is it OK to say that I love how it turned out? It didn't even require an all-nighter. Almost. But not quite. I finished gluing the little crystals on at 2:00 this morning.

I wasn't sure if it was going to come together but I love how the frame turned out. I got cold feet about painting it after I brought home some white paint {read more here} , but with a little encouragement {thank you, Shay}, I decided to make another trip to the hardware store to find an eggshell white, which was how I originally pictured it in my head. Usually I shop for my crafty things alone, but Mr. Bug came with me to the hardware store the first time {who could resist, right?} and that, combined with the lack of selection in flat {versus glossy} paint threw me off my game. I'm so glad I went with my gut. The frame as I originally bought it would have overshadowed the quilt. Painting it white white would have been too much white. This eggshell white is just right, I think.

To mark my quilting design, I used blue painter's tape, the kind that isn't supposed to leave a residue. I made a paper template for the pattern in the center, cut it out, traced it onto the tape and then cut it out with an Xact-O knife. I thought of my dad a lot while I was doing that. He used to paint big diesel trucks for Volvo. If the customer wanted a special design, my dad would do it. He used tape to mask stripes and other designs {see also, 1968 VW Bug}. I also used the painter's tape and a couple of circle punches to mark the line of circles in the arcs.

This was such a fun project to do. It was fun the first time, and it was even more fun the second time. You might even say it is my favourite thing this week :wink:. Can I get a whoop, whoop? Some day {soon, I hope} I'm going to do a double wedding ring quilt for my bed. Here's one last photo, because I just can't resist showing this off a bit.

Today's post brought to you by:
Richard & Tanya's Link A Finish Friday My 2013 Finishes

21 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

Absolutely fabulous!! Love it, love it, love it!!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Absolutely perfect!

Paulette said...

You sure CAN get a big WHOOP WHOOP! That is so very amazing, E. Love the quilting, the crystals, the flower, the frame, just everything about this! What a wonderful keepsake for your friend!

thea said...

what a great gift for your friend and a great favorite too!

Lynette said...

Oh, MY! This is absolutely beautiful. So, soooo pretty. Poor woman - so sick the day before her biggest day.

Unknown said...

OMG...this is breathtaking! And what a fabulous idea to put it in a gorgeous picture frame!

mtnquiltr said...

What a beautiful gift. I love the colours and the quilting is fabulous! The frame is just right, I can't believe that's the same frame after you painted and distressed it. A great project with a happy ending!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is just breathtakingly beautiful. Love the frame, the flower and of course the lovely quilt! Wow.

Kristin said...

Amazing quilting, what a lovely wedding gift! I'm sure it will be cherished.

Shay said...

It looks beautiful. I'm so pleased you went with your instincts because they were spot on!

I will be coming to you because I'll be needing wedding ring quilt advice in the next year or so !

Andrea said...

Lady, you absolutely nailed this! Utterly perfect. I hope it brings both bride and groom no end of delight! You should be very happy with every aspect of this love gift.

Deanna said...

WOW! Truly amazing and wonderful work.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Elizabeth -- you have every right to show it off -- everything about it is perfect -- what a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

Congrats!
Karen

Richard Healey said...

Wonderful that is amazing.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Congratulations Elizabeth,
this quilt is absolutely amasing!
Liebe Grüße
Bente

mom said...

WOW! The quilt and frame and all are very beautiful! and you did it in time! that is awsome! once again I have to say you are amazing with all the talent you have and display.

Lane said...

Just catching up, Elizabeth. That is lovely! Everything did come together perfectly. Lane

Unknown said...

WOW that is absolutely amazing! Love it so much, E!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I totally love this. These were my wedding colors, essentially, so I would totally love to see this hanging over my bed. BEAUTIFUL job.

Anita Gantt said...

Love it Elizabeth. It turned out beautifully.

Vicki said...

Totally gorgeous. I love the colors and the frame is perfect.